Once you’ve made the decision that you are ready to remodel your home, the first step is considering what firm to hire. Taking the time to interview and research each firm is extremely important and will ultimately help you select the firm best suited for you and your project. To assist you in the interviewing process, we’ve compiled a checklist of questions for you.
Questions About The Firm
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you licensed in our state?
- What types of insurance policies does your firm have?
- TIP: Contractors should have personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage. Ask for copies of insurance certificates, and make sure they’re current, or you could be held liable for any injuries and damages that occur during the project.
- Is your company a locally owned business dedicated to the community?
Questions About The Process
- What is the timeframe for the project? When could we start? What is your estimated completion date?
- What services are covered under your contract? May I see a sample contract?
- What payment schedule will you use (deposit, regular payments, percent of completion payments, other)?
- Will my project require a permit? Are you familiar with the permitting process?
- Do you have an architect/engineer on staff? If not, whom do you use?
- How many design drafts are included in the contract?
- Who will walk us through design and selections?
- Which suppliers do you use?
- How do you handle allowances for products?
- Who will be assigned as the project manager? Will the project manager be onsite all day?
- Do you use your own construction crews?
- Who are your subcontractors, and how long have they worked with you?
- Are you lead-certified (certified in lead-safe work practices)?
- Do you offer written warranties on materials and workmanship?
- Where do I go when I want to know where we are in the process?
- How do you rank among your competitors?
Ask For References
- How many projects like mine have you completed?
- May I have some examples?
- May I have a list of three references?
- TIP: When verifying references, ask each client if they are happy with the work they had done. Was the work completed within the stated time frame? Were there any unexpected costs? Were workers punctual? Did they clean up at the end of the workday?
Reputable remodeling firms will be happy to answer all of your questions and provide the information you are requesting. If you are ready to start interviewing remodeling contractors, please contact us today. The team at Schroeder Design/Build will be happy to talk with you about our process, our online client communication system, and our warranty program.