Your cabinetry, whether it is your kitchen or bath cabinets, or cabinets anywhere in your home, is an essential part of why your home is aesthetically appealing. To keep your cabinets looking beautiful, they do require a little special attention. We’d like to thank Wellborn Cabinet, Inc. for their help in developing these tips on how to care for and maintain your cabinetry.
Care for your cabinetry by ALWAYS:
• Cleaning up spills or standing water immediately (including condensation). Pay special attention to the areas around your sink, range, dishwasher, toe spaces and baseboards, and use a blotting action rather than wiping.
• Applying all cleaning solutions to a cloth when cleaning, and never directly to the cabinetry itself.
• Avoiding extreme temperature changes or humidity levels. This can cause the wood to warp or the glue that holds the veneers to loosen.
• Rotating accessories that sit on your cabinets so that they don’t remain in the same spot all the time.
• Using pads, cloth or felt to protect surfaces from plastic, rubber, hot dishes, beverages, bookends, flowerpots and vases.
• Using a protective pad when writing with a pen or pencil.
• Making minor repairs while the problem is small.
• Treating your cabinetry as if it was furniture. They are constructed with the same grade of wood as your furniture and require the same care to reward you with lasting beauty.
Maintain your cabinetry by NEVER:
• Using a damp cloth, water or ammonia to clean your cabinetry. Do not use a used dishcloth to wipe cabinets, as it could contain traces of grease or detergents.
• Using an abrasive cleaner or abrasive cloth on a painted surface. This will scratch, scar and dull the finish permanently.
• Using concentrated detergents. Harsh detergents, strong soap and self-polishing waxes can have a damaging effect on the finished surface.
• Using silicone polishes on the cabinet surfaces. This will raise the sheen to beyond that of the manufacturer’s intention. These polishes can seep into the finishes and are very difficult to remove.
• Using petroleum distilled polishes on the cabinet surfaces. These are often flammable and toxic, and are seldom ever completely removed.
• Leaving damp or wet cloths draped over cabinet doors. This can cause permanent water damage.
• Letting water run off the sink to the countertops and sink cabinetry. Care for and maintain your cabinetry by watching for and cleaning up water deposits or drips.
• Placing rubber or plastic objects on a wood finish; their ingredients react with those of the finish.
• Pulling downward on doors. This can cause them to split at the hinge area and sag.
• Placing more than 75 pounds of weight into a drawer. This may cause the drawer bottom to sag, or the drawer slides to function improperly. Evenly distribute weight inside a drawer.
• Using a drawer as a step to reach higher. This may cause the drawer bottom to sag, or the slides to warp.
• Attempting to repair badly-damaged surfaces without the proper materials or professional help. Contact your Authorized Wellborn Dealer, like Schroeder Design/Build.
Your cabinets are an investment in your home and should last a lifetime if you understand how to care for and maintain your cabinetry. After we install cabinetry and complete your remodeling job, we will provide you with warranty and care instructions.
For Cabinetry or Cabinetry Inspiration, Visit Schroeder Design/Build
Need some ideas for beautiful kitchen cabinetry? Visit our Kitchen Remodeling Portfolio!
When you’re looking to put on an addition, redo your kitchen, or remodel any room in your home, contact Schroeder Design/Build, Inc. We are glad to serve clients throughout Northern Virginia with award-winning remodeling services.
Be sure to "Like Us" on Facebook to receive the latest news, specials and invitations.